Subject: Fractal Borders
From: [email-masked] (Kathy Blohm)
To: [email-masked]
Date: 08 Sep 94 18:40:00 -0500

Is there a way of applying a band of color with a the edge defined by
fractal noise? What I was thinking of was something like the linearturb
Essence texture. You can make the object 2 colors with a fractal border.
It doesn't seem that easy to control the fractal noise. It could be
cut off by using falloff, but the border would not really be defined
by the fractal irregularity.   I've also tried playing with marble for
this use, but without much success. Maybe I haven't hit upon the right
relationship of the parameters.

------------------------------

Thanks for Brian Whitaker, Grant Boucher, and Mark Thompson for their
responses to my flame question.

 For those who might be interested, the issue of Lightwave Pro which
has the fire tutorials was the July issue.  I received a letter saying
the disk for that issue was delayed and I assumed the issue itself was
delayed.
Apparently, I just didn't get the issue, but the LWPRo staff informs me
that the
disk for it is now in the mail to all disk subscribers.

>applying these types of textures to flat polygons can work as well. In
my
>furnace image, the flames behind the grate are simply a texture mapped
>flat polygon.

Where was that image?